Get to Know the Cooker Types and Options for Making an Informed Decision
Cooker is an essential appliance in a kitchen otherwise meals cannot be cooked. With advanced technology, market is flooded with different kinds of cookers. You need to choose –
- Between freestanding or range cookers or table top cookers
- The fuel type including gas or electricity
- Single or double oven
- Hob types like gas, induction, ceramic, and solid plate
With all such alternatives and options available you may get confused. For example, cuisiniere Frigidaire [Frigidaire cooker] is available in plethora of free-standing models with price ranging from $539 to $2259. However, price differs due to its features like power source, cooktop surface, ovens, number of burners and more.
Let’s get to know the cooker type options in detail to help you make an informed decision.
Free standing cooker
Cooker includes a hob and oven in a single appliance. This helps to fry eggs and cook bacon under the grill, at the same time. Cookers basically are freestanding, whereas you can integrate ovens in the kitchen unit.
A big kitchen can be equipped with range cooker, which adds a wow factor. They are wide and feature 4 separate cavities including one grill, 2 ovens, and a warming storage drawer. The hob holds 5 to 8 burners. It allows multi-tasking, so large families and homes hosting lots of dinner parties can find this option ideal.
Table top cooker
It resembles a large microwave and easily sits on the kitchen counter. It includes a single shelf but includes all the benefits on a small scale. It can be applied as backup for main cooker when lots of food preparation has to be made.
Choose the fuel type
Gas quickly heats the hob and flames can be well-controlled. However, in oven the temperature can be uneven. Alternatively, electric cookers offer steady temperature within the oven [in case there is a fan]. Electric hobs cook slowly than gas but the advanced induction and ceramic hobs are very practical. To enjoy both, buy a dual fuel cooker [hybrid] with gas hobs and electric oven. However, this extra flexibility will be reflected in the price.
Single oven has a drawer underneath to hold grill pan or extra shelves. For greater flexibility choose models with twin ovens including a grill on top or a twin cavity model with one oven and separate grill.
- Gas burners offer great speed and control but hard to clean.
- Ceramic hob displays stylish and sleek ceramic glass surface. It operates on electric and heat slowly than gas but are easy to wipe.
- Solid plate has electric coil filaments, which are raised over the cooker’s main surface. They are cheap but inefficient, slow and hard to wipe clean.
- Induction models heat pan bottom directly, so no waste of heat but need steel or iron cookware and are pricey.